A Periodic Inspection / Electrical Installation Condition Report is an inspection on the condition of an existing electrical installation, to identify (in order of priority) any deficiencies against the national safety standard for electrical installations.
If you think your wiring is unsafe this is something you should have done.
• Reveal if any of your electrical circuits or equipment is overloaded
• Find any potential electrical shock risks and fire hazards in your electrical installation
• Identify any defective DIY electrical work
• Highlight any lack of earthing or bonding
A periodic inspection report (PIR) now called an Electrical Installation Condition Report is a formal method of recording the findings of the inspection, on at least three pages for domestic installations and six pages for larger installations.
The main purpose of a PIR is to report on the safety condition of an existing installation. It should describe the overall condition as either ‘satisfactory’, in which case no immediate remedial work is required, or ‘unsatisfactory’ which means remedial work is required to make the installation safe to use.
• Code 1 Requires urgent attention
• Code 2 Requires improvement
• Code 3 Requires further investigation
• Code 4 Does not comply with BS 7671
Code 1 indicates a dangerous, or potentially dangerous, condition that requires urgent attention to make the installation safe. Once you have had an electrician do the necessary remedial work, an appropriate certificate would be issued to confirm that the remedial work has been carried out in accordance with BS 7671.
The electrician will give you a summary of the inspection in the report, which will give a clear indication of the condition of the electrical installation, taking into account all relevant circumstances.
It is recommended that a periodic electrical inspection is carried out at least every:
• 10 years for a domestic installation
• 5 years for a commercial installation
• 3 years for caravans
• 1 year for swimming pools
Other instances when a periodic electrical inspection should be carried out are:
• When a property is being prepared to be let
• Prior to selling a property or when buying a previously occupied property
Periodic inspections / electrical installation condition reports should be carried out by a competent electrician.
The electrician will check the electrical installation against the requirements of BS 7671 – Requirements for Electrical Installations ( IEE Wiring Regulations) – as amended, which is the national safety standard for electrical installations, and contains around 850 Regulations. The periodic inspection will take into account all relevant circumstances including the following factors:
• Adequacy of earthing and bonding
• Suitability of the switchgear and control gear e.g. consumer unit e.g. an old fusebox with a wooden back, cast iron switches, a haphazard mixture of such equipment is likely to need replacing
• Serviceability of equipment e.g. switches, socket-outlets and light fittings e.g. older round pin sockets, round light switches and braided flex hanging from ceiling roses to light fittings, black switches, sockets mounted in skirting boards may require replacing.
• Type of wiring system and its condition e.g. cables coated in black- rubber, black-rubber was phased out in the 1960s or cables coated in lead or fabric are even older and may need replacing (modern cables use pvc insulation)
• Provision of residual current devices for socket-outlets that may be used to plug in electrical equipment used outdoors
• Presence of adequate identification and notices
• Extent of any wear and tear, damage or other deterioration
• Changes in use of the premises which have led to, or might lead to, deficiencies in the installation.
The electrician will provide a periodic inspection report (PIR) as part of the periodic inspection.
If the electrician reports any recommends or improvements to the installation, K&L will give you a fixed price quotation for the remedial work. The improvements do not necessarily have to be carried out by the electrician who provided the Periodic Inspection Report.
Are you looking for a local and reliable electrician in the Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire and Lancashire area?
Kevin, Lee and their team did a full re wire of our house in August 2015. Their team of 5 were very efficient and complete the job within 3 days. Their work was of a high standard and the price was very reasonable.All of the team were polite and helpful, fully explained what they would do and how they would do it with as minimal disruption to us as a family as possible! We would highly recommend their team!Jennie, Stretford
K & L Electrical have worked on this retirement complex since 2008. Firstly, as a sub contractor for 10 new bungalows being built and once these were completed the organisation then asked them to carry out routine and non routine work to 99 of our other properties, our 32 bed care home and an administration building.They are pleasant electricians who are prompt, knowledgeable and tidy in their work. We will continue to use them for the foreseeable future.Danny Kenny, Wallasey
Hollymere (Extra Care Development) situated in Ellesmere Port, consisted of 71 newly constructed one-and two-bedroom apartments.K&L provided electrical installation services for 71 one-and two-bedroom apartments on the Hollymere extra care facility development in Ellesmere Port. The work completed was of a first class quality and importantly their electricians met deadlines and were responsive to program demands.Allan Wood, Ellesmere Port
Me and my wife contacted lee, regarding doing some electrical work prior to our fitted kitchen being installed, he arrived on time, he and his team we very clean, tidy, and worked alongside other tradesmen to complete our dream kitchen. Any questions we asked were answered and explained fully, we found him very approachable, friendly, and most importantly, he quoted a very good price, and stuck to that price.I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone considering any kind of electrical work in their homes. And we will definitely be using them again in the future. Great job guys.Stephen And Stephanie, Wigan